I wanted to experiment with vectoring and decided to try what color reduction on a simple image would turn out like.
It seems I have a weird habit of using Shana images… oh well.
Anyways, I vectored all the major shapes, ignoring the white flower prints on her yukata/kimono (what’s the difference, again?). This way I could progressively reduce the number of colors used and made it easier for experimentation.
Note: All the white background images lead to transparent background versions. The black background ones just have solid black matte bg.
I started with 4 colors (not including black and white, obviously).
The shading is a bit funny.
The black background provides a little more impact.
Now I wanted to see what happened if I just flattened the colors to red.
I think it came out pretty good, and I don’t have to deal with shading oddities with so few colors (unless I wanted to do them in black).
I cheated a bit as I had to color Shana’s face – keeping it white just looked too weird.
Now I wanted to see what a red + white version would look like (not including the black in the background).
As expected, looks like a stencil. A bit too bright.
Still jarring on the eyes. Serviceable enough I guess.
Finally we come to the black and white version.
A bit easier on the eyes than with the red only. But boring.
I was too lazy to add extra white regions for the ribbons; didn’t think they’d really add much anyways.
I think the experiment was largely a failure. I liked the 4 color and red/black/white versions best (the original being superior regardless). Also, the image is rather boring since the kimono got simplified so much – maybe if I added more detail, or some kind of background…
Oh, well, I’ll end with another experiment I did (just for fun), where I colored the trace-lines randomly as I was vectoring.
Avant-garde art! lol.
P.S. will add 1280×1024 resolutions when I’m less inebriated.
Update: Screw 1280×1024. Crop it in paint or something. Also, seems the links to the 4×3 resolution ones were all broken (pointing to the widescreen instead). Fixed now.